Monday, February 07, 2005

Do sa? On sa!
I went to Aoni onsen this weekend with Erica, from Hirosaki. It was a truly remote place, with more snow that I have ever seen in my life. We got to try a ride on a snow mobile before we got to the onsen. Not much could be seen, but it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. The ryokan is known for not having electricity, although the glow of a green emergency exit sign came through our screen windows all night. The baths were outside and inside...very traditional and beautiful, and lit by oil lamps. It was ladies time at the outside big bath at 8pm, so many ladies rushed out to the cold to sit and chat and make mini snowmen beside the water. I noticed that the onsen is a great place to make Japanese friends. Complete strangers come over naked and asked us where we are from. It was a good time to practice Japanese conversation. Erica and I stopped for tofu donuts and sushi before I came back to Nambu--a slight hitch with canceled trains and a slow bus to Aomori, but all an enjoyable adventure to the onsen. I truly am turning Japanese...