Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Don't hate...graduate!
Today I went to two graduation ceremonies! Yes, TWO! I saw the entire 15 year old population of Shingo village go up to the front and get a certificate. I listened intently to a few speeches that I understood a little of. I heard beautiful songs. I took a picture with the classes, and was beckoned to come to the front by these words from the photographer, "gaijin sensei!!"--funny. I watched all the girls unable to sing because of their tears at Shingo, except for Miyako, who sang away with determination--I was impressed! I watched a couple of the boys blinking away their emotions. I nearly lost it when they bowed to the teachers. I shed some tears at Nosawa, because those kids have been a huge part of my life here in Japan. I left all the graduating kids with a CD of some English songs and the challenge to write to me. It has been a tough day...a day where you can see how fast kids grow up...how we only have a few chances in life to leave an impression. I never had a graduation at school, so I feel like today was a great chance to experience it Japanese style.