Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Phnom Penh
Tuesday morning was an emotionally challenging time learning about the recent history of Cambodia. We visited the Tuol Sleng museum and the Killing Fields near Phnom Penh. I couldn't believe the things our local guide, Rahn was telling us about what the Khmer Rouge did in the late 1970s--in my lifetime! It challenged me to learn more about this country.
The afternoon was spent trying to cheer up, by experiencing the Russian Market in town. There were many bargains around, but I don't know how to haggle, so could have done better I think. On the way to and from the market we spotted many monks dressed in orange on motorbikes or walking. Here began my fascination with monks, and had to take a picture everytime I saw one.
In the evening, we were invited to experience a homestyle Khmer dinner at the house of our guide, Rahn. When we arrived, the local neighbourhood kids welcomed us with cheerful hellos, where-you-froms and what's-your-names, and we got to join in on the end of their English lesson. I met their teacher and gave the children some paper cranes I had made with some students in Shingo. There was so much food to try...all of it interesting and tasty. Rahn shared his story with us, and it was a very cool end to our stay in Phnom Penh.