Thursday, December 23, 2004

Malaysia bound
Simone, Shaun and I packed our little back packs and went to Narita to get on a plane to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. We all watched many movies on the way over, and enjoyed trays of highly processed food. When we arrived, we had no Malaysian Ringitt, so the smells of Starbucks and Burger King had to be ignored. We ended up waiting at the airport for a while to get our other flight to Penang. People were in summery clothes. I was in my jacket and gloves because my body was just not ready for the airconditioning.
From the airplane, we could see that Penang had many palm trees. The drive to the hotel was ok. The man who met us thought we all had the last name Lawson, and he talked in Japanese to the bus full of people. I understood some of what he said, but none of the jokes.
The hotel I had booked through the travel agent was ok, but more of a business style. After being on the quiet and peace filled Phi Phi Island in Thailand in the summer, I was a little disappointed.
Once we explored and saw a beautiful Buddhist temple, complete with a sleepy-lying-down Buddha; and discovered Chocolate treats from England; and a nice sandy beach a short taxi ride away, I started to enjoy this island of Penang.