Friday, March 25, 2005

Dancing fish...
On Friday I went to my office "Sayonara" Party, where I listened to many speeches, gave a bunch of flowers to a teacher who is leaving, and got to drink TWO and a bit bottles of oolong tea whilst hob-nobbing with my co-workers.
A lady came round and served us fancy food...and listen to this...she came over with a little bowl with a lid on it and put it down on my table. I had watched her make her way around the room and say something to each person as she put the same bowl down. When she got to me, she said nothing. I picked up the lid, just to see what the next course was, and inside the bowl was a raw egg yolk, surrounded by little squirming fish. Yes, fish that were still alive, kicking, wriggling...alive. I think my face was priceless. I didn't know food could get so weird. The man next to me told me it was odorinui...dancing fish, and he showed me what they did when you poured soy sauce on them. They wriggled even more, and down the hatch they went....off to swim in his stomach. Gag.
So, no, I didnt eat them--I wanted to take them home and keep them as pets. Eating the raw squid sashimi felt quite normal after that.