Saturday, April 23, 2005

hugging monkeys
On Saturday I went with some friends to see the monkeys of Shimokita. It was a three hour(ish) drive, with a few designated stops at conbenis. We didnt see the wild monkeys I had hoped for. The various maps along the roads had monkey pictures that teased us into thinking we would happen upon a monkey commune; complete with all-singing, all-poop-throwing cute monkeys. We settled for the enclosure, where we didnt pay because the man was having a snooze in his hut. The monkeys were in their little families....hugging. It must be too chilly for them to be walking around, so they just hold on to each other. Some part of me wanted to jump over the fence and join in on the huggins. I felt their pain as we raced from chilly winds into the car. I still have my dream to see these famed monkeys in the wild, throwing poo at anything that moves. I will be hit...oh yes...