Thursday, April 07, 2005

Sunrise...sunset
Sunrise over Angkor Wat...it was so beautiful! It wasn't as peaceful as I would have liked as there were noisy tourists shrieking every few seconds, but still it was nice to sit and wait for the orangey red sun to appear by one of the towers of the temple.
We then headed over to a restaurant opposite the temple, and we were surrounded by children selling postcards, bracelets, books... As we sat down at the table, I felt tears and I couldn't even think about eating when there were children outside struggling to make a dollar. Call me sentimental, emotional, soft....whatever. So I didn't eat breakfast that day...instead I went outside and made friends with the children. They had the most amazing English. Early in the morning they are out with their arms full of things to sell to help pay for school. One boy sold me a pretty scarf, and they showed me how to put it on. I hope I let them be kids just for a few moments. They beat me everytime at thumb wars.
Inside the Angkor Wat temple are some HUGE steep stone steps that lead to the top. I wasn't going to attempt to climb them, due to my intense fear of heights, but up I went. I knew that the descent was inevitable, but I swallowed my butterflies for a short while.
Sarah and I met a few more monks at the top of this temple. One had a photographer following him, as well as some locals, and he approached me and asked me to pose in a picture with him (hmm, strange?). The other monk was backdropped by the most amazing view. He then used his English phrases to talk with us, and was rude to Sarah when she said she wasn't married. Sarah and I then vowed to only spot and look at monks--when they speak, they disappoint. Cheeky monk-eys. When I looked at those stone steps again, I started to shake. Irish man Jim helped me all the way down, and the crowd at the bottom gave me a cheer and clap after Jim told them I was scared. Funny. My group were more worried about Jim, as he is in his 70s...but he has no fear, so I appreciated his help.
We also watched the sunset from the top of another temple that evening. So I said hello and goodbye to the sun today. That's a first for me!