Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Temples and monks
We set off early early by aeroplane to Siem Reap, further north in Cambodia. Once checked into the Freedom Hotel, we set off to the spectacular temples at Angkor. We had to get a pass to get into the temple area, and Sarah taught us how to take a funny photo by saying "fudge". It really worked. I look like a movie star being all seductive. I guess my usual big cheesy grin prevents such a look. So we went to a temple that is surrounded by the jungle...called Ta Prohm. There were trees growing out of the walls, which made this place a photographer's dream. But it was so HOT, and this made it difficult to follow the story being told by our new local guide, Sokhom.
In the afternoon, we saw another temple, and nearby were a few orange monks hanging out. I seemed to encourage others into my new monkspotting hobby, so Sarah and I braved a closer look to get some sneaky pictures. We were waved over by a monk and he then proceeded to ask us strangely personal questions, like whether we were married and our ages. Possibly, the orange monks are not aware that it is rude to ask a lady such questions. As we told of our encounter with the monks to our group, our leader looked a little disappointed in us and told us that we had caused a monk to sin and therefore we had sinned. Gulp. But we didnt touch the monk, which is forbidden by women, so I didn't feel so bad for long. I think we must have made the monks day by stopping for a chat, so I was happy enough.