Monday, December 06, 2004

Happy Monday, getsuyobi.
We made mochi on Saturday at Saigoshi Elementary School. Mochi is rice pounded with a huge hammer until it becomes "neparu" (this is the local Saigoshi word for gloopy or sticky).I brought some people to come and enjoy it with me, and we had fun playing with the kids, and watching their Momotaro play. We had to chant "hitotsu watashi ni kudasai na" when Fuyumi said "HEY".
We were given homemade bookmarks, drawn and decorated by the students. I got one with Anpanman, Ultraman and Fujisan. I was so proud of the students for trying with their English. It was very touching to see their faces as they were able to speak some English to us and the visiting bus load from Misawa.
Jeni, Caleb and Curtis got to meet some Nosawa students too. We played juggling, stilts, pin the eyebrow on the face, origami and karuta. And of course we ate muchy mochi. No choking, thankfully.
Zachary and Emily made some best friends, and Sara conversed with the mothers who made the mochi. We all went home with bellies gurgling full with rice.
On Sunday I traveled to Sendai on the first bullet train out of Hachinohe to go to the University there to take a Japanese test. I went for the 4th level (it's the easiest level). I think I am the only 3rd year who took it, but at least I tried. It was a little tough, but nice to be in warm Sendai! And to have a celebratory drink at Starbucks before heading home. I met a new friend from Peru, and we talked in our second language, Japanese. Interesting. Afterwards, I met a new friend Goro, from Japan, who was waiting outside to meet anyone who would talk to him in English. He bought me a hot cocoa and I helped him gather his medical notes as they blew around in the wind out of his bicycle basket. A nice day to meet kind strangers...and after all of it, I got 83% in the test (with a 100% for the listening!). Yey.